"Some people are settling down, some people are settling and some people refuse to settle for anything less than butterflies." - Sex in the City
Today marks the day that all single people in the world are made even MORE aware that they are single. A friend of mine posted the most fitting status update on Facebook that read, " Happy National Single Awareness Day!" He is NOT joking! Yes, WORLD! I'm aware I am single and I have NO Valentine today. (Thanks, Hallmark for making me feel inadequate!)
Spending the last 6 months living in the UAE has been an interesting adventure in the world of dating, to say the least. Although I told myself I would NOT date a Muslim man, I broke that promise more than once. Yes, I date. I know it's a surprise to most who read my blog because I only have a select group of people I chose to share my dating stories to since half the time I know the man is not worth mentioning to the mass population anyways.
If I shared these stories on my blog in detail, I would no less than make your jaw drop and also get deported for slander and defamation of character! So, If I ever chose to write a novel of my comedy of errors that take place in this country, I'll be sure to include these funny tales in a day and a life of Me-Shell.
UAE Dating Tips in the UAE
(from a very skewed perspective)
Dating DON'T in the UAE: No public displays of affection allowed. Even holding hands in public is considered offensive if you are a male and female, especially unmarried. (Yet, it's acceptable for a two men to hold hands and also to nuzzle their noses together upon greeting!)
Dating BEWARE: If you are NOT Muslim, be sure to ask right away what his intentions are in dating. Chances are, he either wants to marry you right away and will say "I LOVE YOU" with conviction (even though he doesn't even know what color your eyes are) or he will admit that all it is dating and any feelings developed will need to be surpressed!
Dating DON'T: If you're like me and wear a smile on your face rather frequently- STOP! (You will soon be stalked by crusty old men who look like an ancestor of PIG PEN from Charlie Brown... not for me thanks!)
Dating BEWARE: Find out which country the man is from before embarking on an escapade of kissy face! Especially if he KNOWS you're an AMERICAN! (no need to expand my thought process there...if you need an explanation, then slip me a note later)
Dating DON'T: Bearing too much skin will surely get you stares and chicken necks (He may not be an ancestor of PIG PEN, but you may attract a man who is a PIG and believes you were sent over from Russia just waiting to turn on your red light.)
Dating DO: Enjoy the experience! I have to admit, dating all the wrong men has its advantages. Even my friend Diana admits that these men are like "warm-ups" for the real thing...in my gut, I know she's right.
So, cheers to the butterflies lingering inside me just waiting to flap their wings until I find Mr. Right!
XOXO,
Me-Shell
Awesome post! little slow in reading it, I could have used it V-Day... as it was a little rough this year. I am so impressed with your adventure and your adventurous spirit! Quote is very loved and believed. I to want the butterflies... I have had them... but they have to happen in return, I guess, for things to work out. Stay safe and continue to share. Sigma Love ;)
ReplyDelete