Search This Blog

Friday, December 31

Farewell, 2010!


The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine

Farewell 2010. You were FAR more than I had ever expected when I rung in the New Year while living San Diego, California last year on December 31, 2009. I never once dreamed I would be moving to a desert halfway around the world and leaving the comfortable life living in the US behind.  Little did I know, that the book called LIFE had such an amazing chapter awaiting to be discovered…

For several years now, I have been naming each year to reflect the goals and resolutions I feel reflect where I need support and change in my own personal development. I set my intention for 2010 last year as my year of LOVE. I didn’t know what to expect once I set my intention, but being open in faith I let my life guide me through. I think I am only beginning to understand how powerful naming 2010 my year of LOVE was for me.

Living abroad has had its challenges as I have been so far away from my family and my close friends. Although my communications have decreased since moving away, my heart is now overflowing with love and compassion for those who have touched my life in a positive way. I don’t think I ever truly realized how privileged I was to have the upbringing that I had and the awesome friends to guide me through life’s ups and downs.

While living abroad, I believe I have allowed myself to remain open in learning and understanding about the way others praise their God and live their daily life. My eyes are open to a whole new world around me and for that I am so grateful. I guess you could say my love for humankind has deepened and many prejudices I once had are slowly disintegrating away.

During the month of November, I had the opportunity to travel to Sri Lanka- a 3rd World Country near the southern tip of India. While there, I saw people who live on mere pennies per day. My money there went a long way and I truly felt “rich” monetarily. Yet, everywhere there were Buddhist temples where people remained steadfast in their daily devotions despite their surroundings and way of life. It was an eye-opener for me as I saw everyone in the communities working together and praying together despite their poverty-stricken lifestyle.

More recently, I came back from Istanbul, Turkey. What a gorgeous country rich in history and culture. Taking a “step back” in time and appreciating the historical significance of the city was a good reminder for me to remember my own roots. Remembering my religious upbringing and how it molded me to be the person I am today. Reflecting upon the family I’ve grown to respect and love dearly. It’s amazing how world travels can ultimately bring you back “home” again.  Istanbul made a permanent impression on me in more ways that I can even explain right now. What an amazing city!

My heart is full of joy and love this last day of 2010. Happy New Year! Let’s ring in 2011!

With much love,
Me-Shell


1 comment:

  1. wow, that was beautiful. Really get's one thinking! Thanks for that Michelle.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know what you're thinking, please comment!