Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25

Gobble! Gobbligook!

Happy Turkey Day!

It just occurred to me today that turkeys say "gobble" "gobble" but WE are actually the ones doing the gobbling! I guess they must know what they're in for scurrying around, jerking their necks and clucking- like any of its going to make a difference... their fate is already pre-determined and no matter how much scurrying around they actually do, it's not going to make a damn bit of difference. They're dead meat. Literally.

Spending Turkey Day in the UAE is nothing like it is in the USA, but why would it be? Having no marketing around me advertising turkey dinners, pumpkin pies and stuffing made this holiday as if it was just an ordinary day... I did manage to have a nice dinner at my favorite Abu Dhabi restaurant-The One.

Are all these countless hours people are spending, prepping and preparing for a one day holiday worth all the stress one incurs this time of year? Being so far removed from it, I am gaining a new perspective on life and how I've been living it thus far. I've always been one to try and not miss a beat and stay connected, involved, active with the community, etc. Although it is all important, I just wonder if all these years of letting my other priorities take over my own personal enjoyment of life was wasted time?

I want to paint, take classes, read, swim, travel, learn new cultures and expand my horizon. I am glad I made the choice to live in a foreign land. It is a sacrifice, but I feel like it's a chance to just b-r-e-a-t-h-e.

There are plenty of other turkeys around us to do the scurrying and the worrying for us, why not pledge to show self-appreciation and take time out for YOURSELF? It's time... the gobbligook of trying to "get ahead" is over.

So, with that being said..... I'm THANKFUL for the clarity this day has brought forth to me. I am also very THANKFUL for my family and friends.

Gobble! Gobble!

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,
    Always good to read your posts! I, like you, question the hustling around and stress filled preperation of the holiday season. Although I also appreciate the amount of work and love that is put into such a feast...as I am traditionally not the one having to do ALL THAT WORK! lol!
    There's something to be said for tradition, and I traditionally believe in enjoying every day for the simple things and staying grateful throughout without the poor turkey slayings! haha! Although, admittedly...I do love Thanksgiving left overs!
    You sound great, for that I am THANKFUL!
    I have lots of faith in you and your journey of miles and wisdom!
    XOXOXOX ~ Christine

    ReplyDelete

Would love to know what you're thinking, please comment!