Holiday season in the UAE is around the corner and I am anticipating my excitement and sigh of relief as I hear the deafening sound of the teacher bell (yes, there IS a teacher bell) signaling our release from school for one full week. The timing is impeccable because the pressures on me and several other teachers in the last few weeks have been many. I just completed the first series of various assessments with my students and discovered that only a handful actually know all of their ABC letter names and sounds. Teaching 3rd grade at an Emergent level is more challenging than I had imagined. My teaching experience thus far has given me some of the background and tools I need to keep the students engaged, but in all reality I am learning a whole different level of teaching theory and instruction. Professionally, I am growing a lot but I’m so ready for a break!
My next anticipated event is during our Eid holiday; three other friends and I will be embarking on an exotic trip to “Pearl of the Indian Ocean”-Sri Lanka. Our excursion begins on Sunday, November 14th with our flight from Abu Dhabi to Colombo, Sri Lanka. During my long stay at the Intercontinental Hotel, I was fortunate to have befriended many of the staff, one of which is the Executive Housekeeper, a native Sri Lankan. He managed to arrange a fantastic tour package for us complete with transportation, accommodations, English chauffeur, meals and entrance fees for all the tours for a very special price. Some of the places we plan on visiting during our stay in Sri Lanka is the Sigiriya Rock Fortress, Dambulla Temple, Kandy Temple of the Tooth, Peradeniya Botanical Garden, and many more. So, watch in upcoming weeks for pics from the “Pearl of the Indian Ocean.”
More news on the Abu Dhabi front is I am finally settled in my own little apartment. I’m on the 11th floor of a very nice apartment complex near the outskirts of the heart of Abu Dhabi Tourist City. My view is not much to brag about, but I feel fortunate to have underground parking, a pool, gym and a nearby grocer that delivers on the scorching hot days if I get to lazy and spoiled during my days here.
Getting settled wasn’t easy and I had forgotten how much work it is to get an apartment up and running. I finally have a bed, a couch, curtains, refrigerator and a microwave. I’m still in need of a TV and other furniture to feel at “home”. But in due time, it will all come together and will be ready for visitors from the USA!!!
Being settled has allowed me to appreciate my new life in Abu Dhabi and I’m in no hurry to complete my 2-year contract with Abu Dhabi Education Council. As a matter of fact, I’ve even decided to buy my own SUV so I can not only stay safer on the roads but also stop throwing my money away on a rental car each month. One may never know if I decide to extend my stay past 2 years, so after going back and forth with my decision to buy or lease, I have decided buying a car is in my best interest financially.
Pinch me! Am I really here in Abu Dhabi? This country and its people are amazing and I am thrilled to be a part of late Sheik Zayed’s Vision 2030!
I sit in anticipation for the next amazing news to report from the Middle East.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Would love to know what you're thinking, please comment!