Opportunity Knocked, Knocks, and Will Knock
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work!" (Thomas Edison)
WORK! A dreaded word by many.... but without it, then what?...
PAST
If anyone knows my personal work history, they may know that historically I apply for jobs that take FOREVER to get! For example, before I was hired by my last full-time employer, it took several steps to finally get my work agreement in hand. Steps for that job included a written essay (how many jobs do YOU know of that requires a written essay by all their applicant?) a product mock-up for an educational tool that could be developed and published world-wide, and several interviews with members from Human Resources, Development Team, Creative Team, and the Leadership Team) After two months of sweating it out, I finally got the job that ONLY lasted two years!
PRESENT
Now...I finally have my ticket to Abu Dhabi (leaving Friday, August 13th) which has taken SIX months to get!!! And the job itself has only a contract of two years!
Now...I finally have my ticket to Abu Dhabi (leaving Friday, August 13th) which has taken SIX months to get!!! And the job itself has only a contract of two years!
Getting the "golden ticket" took WORK! Some of the steps included were:
- Cover letter/Resume accepted by recruiter
- Job Application that included 18 short-essay answers.
- Phone Screening
- Phone Interview
- Personal Interview (located in Santa Monica which was a 3 hour drive North from San Diego)
- By the way, items REQUIRED for the interview included: 3 recent letters of reference, colored copies of all academic degrees, colored copy of teaching license, colored copy of Passport with EXTRA Passport photos, Original and copy of a Criminal Background Check, colored copy of my ACTUAL degree given to me when I received my Master's degree, and a completed security form)
THEN.... once informed that I GOT THE JOB, the work continued...
6. Authentication of documents from State of MN, US Dept. of State, and the UAE Embassy
7. Visa Arrangements and Travel Arrangements paperwork...
FUTURE
Now.... the rest remains "unwritten" but LOOKS something like this:
8. Pack, Board and FLY to ABU DHABI....
9. Orientation in Abu Dhabi
10. Accommodations, Bank Accounts, PO Boxes, Health Checks, grocery shopping, Car purchase... etc.
11. And FINALLY... EDUCATING THE CHILDREN OF ABU DHABI!
Is this all worth it??? I believe without a doubt, this will be one of the BEST experiences of my life. Keep reading my blog and you can be the judge!
Opportunity knocks at everybody's door, but it's up to YOU to let IT in!
Hi Michelle,
ReplyDeleteI was inwardly giggling at the similarity of time and effort to get teaching positions. Last summer in January, I applied to be a summer adjunct with my MA in TESOL teaching ESOL methods and linguistics course to freshman at a private university. It was over one hour to commute and it took me 2 phone interviews, a personal teaching demo before the President and the School Board, and 5 months later, along with 3 phone calls to additional heads and one additional visit to Dept. head, I garnered the position which lasted two months working a split shift morning and evening; in addition I had to have a hotel room overnight because the commute was 1.5 hours and class began at 8:00. Class ended at 10:45 and hubby was worried about me driving 275 from Sarasota to Tampa. Was it worth it? well, it paid well, gave me more experience, and taught me more about dealing with private universities. I am proud I made the selection also! See you in AD!
So succinctly put..almost makes it look easy!!
ReplyDelete