While reflecting on my first week here in Abu Dhabi, I realized how much I am depending on my own inner strength in keeping me afloat right now. I arrived on Abu Dhabi soil on Saturday, Aug. 14th and dove right into the deep end of the “multi-cultural” pool. I would be lying to myself if I didn’t admit that I already know this experience will strengthen me more than any other. I’m trying to assimilate as much as I possibly can while temporarily living in a 5-star hotel. I’m connecting with teachers from all corners of the globe, eating all types of cuisine, riding in taxicabs that have no concern for human life, and just simply trying to establish myself into new surroundings.
Much to my surprise, the people of this region are very nice, hospitable and kind. I’m currently in the midst of Ramadan where fasting occurs from sun up to sun down. Many shops, restaurants and businesses are closed during the day. So, essentially I haven’t even seen Abu Dhabi at its finest yet because of the impressive dedication people have here to their religion.
When I knew I was moving to Abu Dhabi, I was anticipating the “call to prayer” that is blasted via sound system galore 5 times/day here. Much to my surprise, it’s very peaceful. I have found that I will take the time to reflect and often times pray the “Our Father” or thank God for all His blessings while others stop anywhere (literally) to pray and thank their “Allah”. The dedication to religion surrounding me is addicting and I am already feeling the need to return to some of my own religious roots.
When I knew I was moving to Abu Dhabi, I was anticipating the “call to prayer” that is blasted via sound system galore 5 times/day here. Much to my surprise, it’s very peaceful. I have found that I will take the time to reflect and often times pray the “Our Father” or thank God for all His blessings while others stop anywhere (literally) to pray and thank their “Allah”. The dedication to religion surrounding me is addicting and I am already feeling the need to return to some of my own religious roots.
As far as work is concerned, we are currently in the midst of week two of orientation. My first week consisted of medical checks, police checks, setting up new bank accounts, apartment shopping, and just getting familiar with our new surroundings.
School regions have been assigned and I have discovered I will have an estimated 40-minute or more commute outside of the Island of Abu Dhabi and onto the mainland. So, I am now left with a decision on whether or not I want to live in a suburban area of Abu Dhabi called Khalifa City and have a shorter commute to work, or live in the heart of the Tourist City of Abu Dhabi Island. I don’t have much time to decide, so I am hoping that after seeing some of my other options tomorrow I will have a decision made soon.
As I swim in the uncertainty of life living abroad, I am floating on the support of my faith, my friends, my family and my intuition. Thank you to all my true friends and loving family. You are missed more than you’ll ever realize.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Would love to know what you're thinking, please comment!